Henri Boisselier (Dr. Boisselier)
Henri Conrad Boisselier was born in Edgebaston, Warwickshire  in 1867, son of Henri Eugene Astor Edouard Boisselier and Amelia Fanny Barry.  Records vary — some listing the family name as Boisselier, others as de Cornotte, with the name Boisselier preceding. In 1861, Henri Eugene was approved by the Queen of England as Consul at Leeds, for the Emperor of the France. 
In 1875, Henri Eugene died, aged 63, leaving Amelia with their four young children Henri, Astor, Laure and Nerea. In the summer of 1878, Amelia remarried in Hackney, and Alfred Charles Wootton became Henri's stepfather.
Alfred Wootton was editor of the Chemist and Druggist journal, a weekly publication of a little over 50 pages, of which nearly half was made up of advertising materials.  In the 1891, census Amelia is living with Alfred Wootton and her children in Percy House, Edmonton. By this time Henri Conrad is working as a cocoa manufacturer's assistant, and his brother Astor a chemical manufacture assistant.
In 1900, Henri Conrad married Mary Wetherman in the Hanover Square area.  In the census of the following year, he is living at 7 Wellington Road, Watford, and is employed as a chocolate cocoa manufacturer. Living with him is Mary's sister Beryl and Jemima Sutton, domestic servant.  Mary is not listed as being in the household on census night.
It is likely that he was at this time working at the Vi-Cocoa company, of which he became manager.  By 1908, the company had taken on his name and was listed in Kelly's Directory  as Boisselier's Chocolates.
Henri Boisselier passed away aged 86, on 4 Febuary 1953, in St Albans. 
Research: Rebecca; North Watford History Group.
Author: Rebecca; North Watford History Group.
- 1881 and 1891 censuses
- 1871 census
- Gazette issue 22506, 30 Apr 1861; page 6
- Mussell, James; Science, Time, and Space in the Late Nineteenth-century Periodical Press, 2007; Ashgate Publishing Ltd
- FreeBMD, England & Wales; FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837 – 1983 [database on-line]
- 1901 census
- Nunn, J.B.; The Book of Watford, 2003; page 98
- Kelly’s Directory of Watford, 1908
- The Times; 9 Feb 1953; page 1
[Added by Glen:00:28am 22 Oct 2008]
[Updated by Glen: 11:32pm 5 Jan 2009]
[Updated by Glen: 10:09am 14 Feb 2009]